Feeling ill after battle royale genre games?

video games, board games, war games, etc
Lamb's Ear

Feeling ill after battle royale genre games?

Post by Lamb's Ear » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:27 am

They feel like the culmination of years of market research into how to make games maximally addictive to the detriment or disregard of players' emotional states in the short term and mental health in the long term. I've known two friends who got hooked on Fortnite and one failed college due to it and one almost did but literally shipped his desktop computer to his parents to escape his addiction.

Any personal experience with this? Thoughts?

angelboydiscoman

Re: Feeling ill after battle royale genre games?

Post by angelboydiscoman » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:19 am

I've never played a battle royale type video game, but my friend Andrew was describing them to me a few weeks ago and they sound very addictive. something that stood out to me was that when you die, the game is over for you, and a new game starts loading. It occurred to me how smart that is for getting people hooked, cause when you first start playing the game and you suck, your games are gonna be these really short, tense, exciting experiences. It's not like you're playing a 20 minute match where you suck and you keep dying and your team is losing the whole time and it just ends up being a long unrewarding experience.

but I don't really play multiplayer games at all because I suck at video games, and I hate to lose.

KitKat

Post by KitKat » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:11 am

I don't play any battle royale or MMORPG games myself, because I can sense that I'd grow addicted to them. I can see the vices are similar to gambling, or even rogue-like games where you have no safety net and start over completely when you die. They provide great gratification upon victory, but the addiction comes from being this close to victory. But you lose 99% of the time, and you have ideas of what you can do to gain victory. Time flies by quickly when you're playing because of the fast pace and continual progression of the game. So you try again... again... again... and again...

Speaking with no empirical evidence whatsoever but I've been borderline addicted to a rogue-like RPG game before. I had to delete it to get my exams done. I couldn't stop. After every round I'd tell myself I needed to sleep and stop playing, but I went "1 more try" about 50 times.
Duck. Retired Loveposter. Lurker.

Don Haußettler

Post by Don Haußettler » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:04 am

I'm partial to Angelboy's purview on the matter.

Never got into multiplayer games, in general. The exception perhaps being a thing like Super Smash Bros. or something to that effect, just because of how wacky it can get. I don't have any hands on experience with battle royale style games on account of trash internet, which compounds my lack of interest.

I can see how these games can be quite alluring if you're going into them with the right people buffering things, however.
It's gonna be cerebral...

Duxo

Post by Duxo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:29 am

Multiplayer games are fantastic, but I only ever play them with friends. It's a good way to catch up with people and have fun, as long as you're with the right people. I've never been addicted to them, though. Especially all the grind stuff - god I hate them. I can't play an MMORPG because of that.

Lamb's Ear

Post by Lamb's Ear » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:57 pm

I could never play MMORPGs for more than a couple days either. Their whole purpose is to get you addicted so you'll pay for a another monthly subscription. I think free-to-play games have the same sinister intentions except it's pointless skins instead of monthly subscription fees. They make the default skins look dumpy so people that become addicted and play a lot will feel pushed into paying for something half-decent looking. Fortnite even randomizes your default skin every match so you can't even look consistent another way to prod you into paying money. Paying for an identity.

Multiplayer games that are mostly collaborative or cooperative are fun for me. The line between those games and competitive is a bit blurry too because competitive team games like Counter-strike can be like that too as long as your are on the same team as your friends. I've played team games with people and found out they weren't very good friends though from their behaviour. It can bring out the best and worst in people.

Smash bros. is something I used to be more into, but fighting games in general are super competitive and I can't see the real purpose in getting good that at a video game. People that get too into that kind of thing seem to be trying to prop up their poor self-image.

Most of the time I just want to socialize with people through games, like you were saying Duk. That's why TTT was fun, and Halo custom games way back in the day.